Travel light: Packing tips for your next hiking trip

Welcome to my blog, fellow hiking enthusiast! My name is Jim Feldkamp. In my years of exploring new trails, I've gone through many injuries and challenges. To be honest, I usually end up enduring the trip with a sore back because aside from my personal belongings, I also bring my photography equipment. But I've learned my lesson. These days I only bring the necessities. If you tend to overpack, let me share with you some tips that will cost you less pain and weight on your next hiking trip.

Image source: Express.co.uk

Image source: Mnn.com 
1. Go lightweight When it comes to your backpack, tent, jacket, clothes, and even toiletries, I suggest going lightweight with your choices. These days, many brands offer lighter alternatives to the usually bulky equipment we bring when we hike. But before buying anything that's marketed as "lightweight" or "ultralight", be sure to check the material. Check the quality of fabrics and metals to ensure that your stuff won't break easily. The last thing we need is an unstable tent.

2. Plan with your hiking buddies

If you're traveling with family or friends, you can share the load. My mistake the past years was that I brought everything I thought I needed. Jim Feldkamp the boyscout thought that was the right thing to do. But here's my tip: if there's five of you, two can bring their tents and the rest can bring the chairs, mats, blankets, and other stuff for sharing. When it comes to consumables, a person from the group can be assigned with the food and another one for beverage. With this scheme, you'll have more space in your backpack.

3. Bring only what you need

Easier said than done, right? To get some decluttering motivation before a hike, I usually weigh my backpack. If it exceeds 15 pounds, I rethink my bag's contents. Most of the time the tripod and extra camera are the first items to go. I also rethink my apparel selection and go for lighter choices. Leave your laptop and your other gadgets at home. Take this opportunity to disconnect and go back to basics.

When hiking, your comfort matters. You'll face uneven trails and other elements of nature. The goal is to enjoy the whole journey from start to finish without injuries. You can do it!

Hi there! My name is Jim Feldkamp from San Francisco, California. I'm also into nature photography and outdoor recreation. Visit this page for more on my nature adventures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going on a nature shoot? Here are important safety reminders.

A look at two of my favorite outdoor sports.

Nature photography 101: The equipment.